I have chosen to draw a number of Awareness Ribbons and other awareness icons. I’m planning on drawing more. It started back in October with the Breast Cancer Awareness Ribbon and Yellow Awareness Ribbon. This past week, I have added five more Awareness Ribbons and a Safety Pin.
There are many reasons why Awareness is important in this day and political era. I’m not getting into that cluster f*ck here. I believe that everyone has the right to equality for any reason. No one person is better than any other. No group is better than any other group. No religion, no color, no race, no sexuality, no gender, no “your reason here” is better than any other. Everyone is equal and until that has made its way into the hearts, mind, body, soul and spirit of every person on this planet, awareness, education and love are the keys to overcoming inequality, bigotry and hatred.
Here are the current ones available on RedBubble:
My Personal Reasons
- Breast Cancer Awareness – I have known several people over the last few years who have felt the effects of breast cancer, either they have had it or have someone in their family who has breast cancer.
- Yellow Awareness Ribbon – When I was a teenager, I tried to commit suicide. Since then, I have known several people have come to the point of thinking about or trying to commit suicide.
- Safety Pin – I believe that everyone should feel safe. Today’s world is very uncertain and if I can give just one person a little more security by wearing a safety pin, then that’s my little part. It may not mean much in the grand scheme of things but I can think of so many times when I was glad my best friend was willing to ride with me on an errand just so I wouldn’t have to be alone. Sometimes it’s the little things that gets us through the day. I have a safety pin on my coat and one on my purse.
- Bisexual & Pansexual Awareness Ribbons – When I was in my early 20s, I realized that while men were hot, so were women. That was 20 some odd years ago and pansexual wasn’t known about much if at all. Bisexual wasn’t known about much. I didn’t even have a word for it for at least a couple of years after I realized. I got a lot of crap from my lesbian friends because I still liked men and most of my male friends kept wanting threesomes. It got quite annoying. Now that I’m in my 40s, I realize that I don’t look at gender as part of that hotness equation. Tom Hiddleston isn’t hot because he is male. I just like his voice and butt. Pink isn’t hot because she is female. I just like how she sings and that she can fly with silks.
- Medium Purple Ribbon – For this one, it’s the migraines. I have suffered from debilitating migraines since I was a teenager and they aren’t getting any better. I’m at the point where I can only work part time and I still occasionally miss time from work because of them.
- Dark Purple Ribbon – My best friend in the whole world spent most of her life being abused. She is the strongest woman I know but she has lived her whole life fighting against her childhood. I wouldn’t wish that one my worst enemy.
- Asexual Awareness Ribbon – My best friend is asexual, so this one is for her.
I am an artist. This is my little piece of the puzzle. My way of bringing awareness to the world. I started with the ones that are closest to my heart. The ones I have a personal stake in. I’m planning to keep adding to the list. More ribbons and icons will be coming. If you have one in particular you are looking for, let me know. I’ll see if I can draw it. I won’t know if I have the skill until I try.